Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What would Dewey Decimal Think?












As further evidence that Sex and the City truly captured what a couple of city-dwelling ladies do on a Saturday evening, Jessie and I spent the other night rearranging my books by color. It looks super cool, but it does tweak my soul a little bit. It dismisses the words and the work of the writers. I can feel Mark Twain glaring at me.

(It reminds me of designer David Carson. For 13 years, his talk about the article he typeset in dingbats has stuck with me. I remember being so angry that he thought the way the words looked was more important than what they said. Anyway, back to my living room.)

Harry Potter is split onto 4 shelves. Kurt Vonnegut is all over the place. But at least the Hardy Boys are sticking together.

And they’re staying that way. Until I move or there’s an earthquake.



2 comments:

  1. You have to leave them like that at least until I come back!

    I think it was the Pottery Barn catalog that had a picture of something even more soul-tweaking-- all of the books were turned so that the spines were facing the bookshelf. Interesting presentation in an anonymous sort of way.

    ReplyDelete