Friday, April 4, 2008

The kindness of strangers and other thoughts of the day.

A homeless (or at least, poor) older man was at the chicken place when I bought my rotisserie chicken for dinner. I didn't realize what he was saying to the guy until after I left. At first, I thought he was complaining about how much money they were charging, but then I realized he was saying he didn't have any money. I decided I needed (need/want, whichever) some chocolate so I stopped at the little chocolate place. Suddenly, the man was behind me there too. Not in a threatening way, just looking at the chocolate. I ordered and paid for my piece. 

While putting my change away, the man asked the young woman for a piece too. At first, she thought he was ordering the same as me, but then she realized he was asking her to give him a piece because he had no money. I was trying to figure out how to say I'd take a second piece for him (Le meme chose for lui? Maybe. I didn't get that far.) when she asked the guy in the back for some chocolate for her friend. And he made up a bag for her to give him. 

I will definitely be going back there. Plus the chocolate was so good. I'd take a picture, but I ate it all.

Other thoughts:
  • Does McDonald's count as a taste of home if I rarely eat it at home?
  • The Louvre is kind of like Wrigley Field. (Go with me on this.) You're just wandering around a neighborhood, you turn a corner and then wham, there's this awesome, historical, famous building right there in front of you.
  • Ham and cheese is so much better when eaten on a baguette straight from a paper bag.

4 comments:

  1. You are making me hungry!

    Love the thoughts and the food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I suppose the Louvre is just like Wrigley Field in that sense... However, from someone who has actually BEEN IN THE LOUVRE, I would say the similarities end there. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, what was the name of the chocolate place? I want to go there next time I am in Paris. Whenever that will be?

    I actually picked up the phone to call you about seeing a movie tonight.*sigh* The reality hasn't sunk in yet. Glad you are having fun.

    That was also very sweet of you to offer to buy the man a chocolate.

    But that's the kind of gal you are!

    MISS YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, McDonalds does count as "taste of home," as the smells are all the same. However, recall what the waitress from the corner cafe said about French McDonalds, that it tastes different, much like Brad's sausage "tastes different." Proceed with caution.

    ReplyDelete