Thursday, April 3, 2008

Seriously. How am I supposed to eat this?



I promise not every post will be about food. But this one still is. Here's how they make it:
  1. Open a pita.
  2. Put in cabbage (red and greenish-white) and cucumbers.
  3. Drop in several small falafel balls.
  4. Repeat step 2.
  5. Repeat step 3.
  6. Add some eggplant.
  7. Spoon on some falafel sauce goodness.
  8. Top it all off with a touch of optional, but so tasty hot sauce. (sauce piquante, like Pace, though not.)
(p.s. Is the 8 bigger than the 1 or is it just me?)  

So, is it the world's best falafel? I'm not sure. It is very tasty. Crunchy veggies and outer falafel. Soft, chewy inner. Good pita. And the eggplant is a nice surprise. I really liked it. Though how people stand on the street and eat it without wearing it, I have no idea. I lugged mine back home to enjoy with my Coca-Cola Light I had chilling in the mini-fridge. 
 
Back to the question though. Is L'As du Fallafel better than Rainbow Falafel (Union Square, NYC)? I'm not sure, but it does bring us to the most exciting, newest addition to the blog–polls! I realize all of five people read this blog, but heck, it's an election year. We should get some practice in. I've included Old Jeruselum (Chicago) for the hometown crowd, but in my opinion it doesn't meet both criteria for best falafel that I have ever eaten: to be both craving inducing and satisfying. (It gets points for the latter. It's very good, but it's two blocks from my apartment and I manage to go months without a visit.)

4 comments:

  1. Ok, so I've never actually HAD a falafel... I know. But seriously, I guess Aunt Annie didn't like me as much. So I am not allowed to vote. So much for Democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot about the falafels at Johnson Street Beach with Aunt Annie. I think they were mostly before I ate falafels. I was young. I didn't know better. And Habanero, soon you can try Old Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have but one falafel to compare yours to and it wasn't memorable. I do like the word, however. Falafel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the 8 IS larger. Weird.

    Did you finish that entire falafel? Seriously. It is huge.

    ReplyDelete